Threading a sewing machine is always tricky for beginner sewers and frustrating for professionals. And if you have sewen a lot then you must have felt the need for automatic threading needles.
If you are a hobbyist then it is even more important to buy a sewing machine with automatic needle threader because it will help you enhance your creativity while working with different types of fabric.
I have nothing against manual threading, as I personally like manual machines more than self-threading machines. However, threading is not fun for everyone and automated units help you reduce preparation time.
- 1 How Automatic Needle Threader Works?
- 2 1) SINGER 4423 – Excellent Heavy Duty Automatic Needle Threader Sewing Machine
- 3 2) Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW – Electric Self Threading Sewing Machine
- 4 3) SINGER Simple 3232 – Self Threading and Free Arm
- 5 4) Brother CS6000i with Automatic Needle Threader
- 6 5) SINGER Tradition 2277 Self-Threading Sewing Machine
- 7 6) Brother XM2701 Lightweight Sewing Machine – Best Under $100
- 8 7) SINGER Sew Mate 5400 Handy Sewing Machine with Automatic Needle Threader
- 9 8) Janome MOD-19 Easy-to-Use Self-Threading Machine
- 10 9) Juki HZL-LB5100 Computerized Automatic Sewing Machine
- 11 10) Janome 3160QDC Computerized Sewing Machine with Extension Table
- 12 How to use automatic needle threader – Video Tutorial
- 13 Conclusion
How Automatic Needle Threader Works?
When you lay down the thread at the right spot it perfectly pushes thread through the needle and through a super flexible jam-resistant drop-in top bobbin.
Here are 5 steps preparation that leads to self-threading(1):
- Rotate the handwheel towards your side and Raise the needle to its highest position
- Now carefully hook thread under the thread guide
- Then pull down the needle threader all the way and pass thread into hook
- Gently leave the threader to pull loop through the needle eye.
- Finally, pull the thread through completely
So if you got frustrated after fixing broken threads or loose threads while sewing pillow covers, denim, dress, ribbons, or neckline then go for automatic sewing machines.
1) SINGER 4423 – Excellent Heavy Duty Automatic Needle Threader Sewing Machine
Singer 4423 can help you sew through light to heavy-weight fabrics and allow you to work on your crafting creativity. With 23 built-in stitch options, you can use this self-threading sewing machine to sew decorative, stretch, neckline, home decor, and buttonhole stitches.
If you want to reduce your project completion time then simply follow the thread path and let the automatic threader do its job.
The best part of this unit is its excellent sewing speed. Even though it is feature-rich you will be able to sew any fabric at a maximum speed of 1,100 stitches/minute.
So combining self-threading and fast stitching speed, your project can be sewn quickly. In addition to that, Singer 4423 features a powerful motor that gives 60% more power to your needle for easy piercing to work around thick fabric and seams.
Do you frequently rin out of bobbin thread in the middle of a seam? If yes, then don’t worry in this sewing machine you get a Top Drop-in bobbin enabling you to see the thread amount so that you can prepare well before you start working on seams.
Why Singer 4423 is a perfect self-threading sewing machine?
- Strong motor with 1,100 stitches.minute of Max sewing speed
- Top Drop-In Bobbin – Easy to insert and remove
- Fully Automatic 1-Step Buttonhole
- Free Arm, and Adjustable Stitch Length
- Built-in Needle Threader for effortlessly threading
- Automatically sew in reverse and reinforce stitches
- Adjustable Presser foot pressure
- Sew lightweight to heavy fabric with Pressure Foot Controller
- Extra-High Presser Foot Lifter, Snap-on Presser Feet
- Excellent beginners machine for improving the learning curve
- 25-Years of Limited Warranty
Singer 4423 is the best sewing machine with an automatic needle threader. Being a feature-rich and easy-to-use machine, it is one of the most popular singer machines in its segment with thousands of positive customer reviews.
2) Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW – Electric Self Threading Sewing Machine
Sewing becomes fun you get 50 built-in regular and decorative stitch options. This Brother Runway CS5055PRW machine is one of the best-computerized sewing machines with self-threading ability.
In addition to that, with Brother CS5055PRW you get 5 auto-size buttonhole options in combination easy to control foot padel to use the range of its needle speed.
The impressive LCD screen on the right side of the body lets you see the stitch options. Simply push the button until you see your desired stitch pattern and select ok.
If you have never used a self-threading sewing machine before then its Singer instruction manual will come handy. Go through it first then practice the functionality on the machine before you start using it for your actual project.
This way you will learn how to use its feature and prevent damaging your fabric. So practice its stitch option selection and automatic threading feature on temp fabric.
In this machine, the automatic needle threader perfectly pushes thread through the needle to help you make the best use of its jam-resistant drop-in top bobbin to sew zippers, buttonholes, home decor, denim, strong hems, seams, overcasting edges, and sleeve holes with a professional finish.
Why Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW is worth buying?
- 50 Built-in Utility, decorative, and Heirloom Stitch Options
- Easy threading, with an automatic needle threader
- Jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Easily adjust stitch length and width according to fabric
- Easy-view LCD display screen with intuitive stitch selector
- LED light for the perfect lit work area to focus on details
- Built-in thread cutter and bobbin threader
- Additional 7 sewing feet to explore your creativity
- Easy to understand Instructional Manual
- 25 year limited warranty with free technical support for the life
The CS5055PRW is an excellent electric sewing machine that can thread a needle automatically with just the push of a button. With wide-range of stitching pattern, LCD screen, Top Drop-in bobbin, and a price less than $200, it is the most affordable sewing machine available in the market.
3) SINGER Simple 3232 – Self Threading and Free Arm
Simple exterior designing with all the basic features, Singer Simple 3232 is one the best easy-to-use sewing machine that can thread needles automatically.
It only weighs 12.2 pounds and packed under a heavy-duty metal frame skip-free sewing and this Singer machine is very easy to carry around. However, even being a portable sewing machine it features 32 built-in stitches including a 1-step buttonhole stitch option.
If you are sewing thick fabric, thick seams, or multiple layers of fabric such as a quilt, you can adjust the pressure foot at a higher place for smooth operation and better control on sewing speed.
Considering its small size, I will say that 750 stitches-per-minute is not a bad speed. Such moderate speed is good for beginner or if you are working on a project which is not bound under a time contract.
Though 750 SPM is average it gives you excellent command on the stitches. So this features true to its potential to construct strong and reliable clothes.
And if something goes wrong or you just want to make your stitches strong simply click the button and use the automatic reverse option to sew in reverse to enforce a stitch.
Thanks to the Free-Arm with this Singer 3232 you can easily sew cuffs, collars, neckline, pant hem, and hard-to-reach area. The free arm is a good feature that can significantly improve your finish quality if you are not a professional sewist.
Beginners will be pleased to know that this machine comes with instructional DVD and have not compromised in providing all the foundational features.
With Singer 3232 you get adjustable stitch length and width dial to keep seams strong and prevent puckering and bunching of fabric.
Keep seams strong and prevent bunching on any type of fabric–personalize stitch length and width with just a turn of a dial.
Why Singer 323 Simple is worth buying?
- 32 built-in stitches and a built-in 1-step buttonhole
- Good Sewing Speed – 750 SPM
- Free-Arm Sewing
- High-Pressure Foot Lifter for Sewing Thick Fabric
- Easy-to-use built-in needle threader
- Heavy-duty metal frame
- Adjustable Stitch Length and Width
- Automatic reverse button to sew in reverse
- 4 Snap-On Presser Feet Expand Creativity
- Free Soft-Sided Dust Cover
- Instruction Manual with Stitch Guide
Singer 3232 is one of the best self-threading sewing machine for beginners.
4) Brother CS6000i with Automatic Needle Threader
The CS6000i and CS7000i are the most popular brother sewing and quilting machine. User-friendly stitch selector switch allows you to easily see and choose a stitch from its impressive 60 built-in simple, decorative, and creative options inclusion 7 styles of 1-step size buttonholes.
With Brother CS6000i you don’t have to push the thread through the needle as its automatic needle threader functionality will do it for you.
It is specially designed in such a way that you can work on any type of quilt. The wide table gives you more space to adjust the fabric and let you do the quilting process by giving you more space so that you can easily sew hard to reach areas.
For professionals doing complicated sewing projects can make use of its built-in free-arm option that makes sewing cylindrical items simple such as pant legs, denim bottom, dress, sleeves, collar, and more.
With an adjustable stitch length and width option, you can make length variation between the two-consecutive stitches according to the fabric or project demand.
Why Brother CS6000i is worth buying?
- Maximum sewing speed – 850 SPM
- Adjustable sewing speed slide
- With one touch, CS6000i automatically pushes the thread right through the needle
- Built-in free arm for sewing cuffs and sleeves
- Simple to use, LCD display stitch selector
- Easy-to-see, LED-lit, super-bright work area
- Wide table is great for large projects and quilts.
- 8 sewing and Quilting Feet (Free)
- Blind stitch foot
- Walking foot
- Buttonhole Foot
- Button Sewing Foot
- Spring action quilting foot
- Monogramming foot
- Overcasting foot
- Zipper foot
- 25-year limited warranty and Life-time support
Brother CS6000i is the best computerized self-threading machine that gives you the opportunity to work on your creativity without worrying about simple yet time-consuming process such as threading a needle.
5) SINGER Tradition 2277 Self-Threading Sewing Machine
With 23 built-in stitches including 9 decoratives, 7 stretch, 6 essential, and 1 buttonhole stitches, Singer 2277 can be said to be the best inexpensive sewing machine.
As a beginner or even some professionals, sewists find it hard to work their way around buttonholes. Thanks to the fully automatic 1-step buttonhole, Singer 2277 provides professionals results at the touch of a button.
Beyond a doubt, the automatic embroidery needle threader is the biggest timesaver. It not only saves a lot of time in preparation but also prevents blockage or puckering of threads while sewing through the fabric.
Don’t get fooled by its tiny appearance this machine is packed under a heavy-duty metal frame that improves its durability and prevents skip sewing.
Why Singer Traditional 2277 is worth buying?
- 23 stitches for any fabric: basic, stretch, decorative
- Free Arm to sew hard-to-reach areas
- Automatic needle threader quickly threads machine with ease
- Adjustable stitch length and width
- Simple one-step buttonhole for consistent results every time
- Heavy-duty metal frame for overall durability
- Compact size makes it easy to carry – Portable
- 25-Year Limited Warranty and Support
The compact Singer 2277 is a mini automatic threading machine with adjustable stitch length and width for perfect seam finishing.
6) Brother XM2701 Lightweight Sewing Machine – Best Under $100
It comes with some manual functions such as Stitch-selector dial that allows you to pick the right one for your fabric or your design need.
Some might complain that why it does not have an LCD screen? But look at its price, you are going to get a self-threading feature in portable sewing machine priced under $100, Period.
With its automatic needle threader and Jam-resistant top drop-in top bobbin, it ends up saving a lot of time.
To make things sweet, this inexpensive machine includes 27 built-in blind hem, zigzag, stretch, and decorative stitches with one auto-size buttonhole allowing more creative space.
The free arm is something not very common in under $100 unit which is plus point. Brother XM2701 is a perfect everyday sewing machine for beginners to advanced sewing enthusiasts.
Why Brother XM2701 is the best Cheapest Self-threading machine?
- 27 unique built-in stitches, including one 1-step auto-size buttonhole
- Included are 6 quick-change sewing feet
- 63 stitch functions
- Automatic needle threading system
- Brightly lit LED work area
- Easy-To-Use Stitch Selector Dial
- Built-in Accessory Storage
- Manual Thread Tention
- 25 year limited warranty with free technical support for the life
The Brother XM2701 is a lightweight machine that can handle up-to semi-heavy fabrics. However, its uses can vary according to your expertise. It is one of the best-selling brother machines in the market.
7) SINGER Sew Mate 5400 Handy Sewing Machine with Automatic Needle Threader
If you are looking to buy a handy machine then Singer Sew Mate 5400 is a good option because it offers 60 built-in stretchy, decorative, 4 fully-automatic buttonholes, and essential stitches.
So whenever you are working on this machine be assured that it got your back while sewing fashional clothes, heirloom, quilting, home or working for decorative design.
The Self-threading or say automatic needle threading system is the biggest timesaver of all as you won’t have to worry about threading your machine all the time.
I panic all the time that a stitch will be torn apart after a couple of washes that is why I like to reinforce it with the reverse stitch function. The Singer 5400 also has a glide control switch that you can use to perform the same task.
Why Singer Sew Mate 5400 is worth buying?
- 60 Built-in Stitches
- 4 Fully Built-in 1-Step Buttonhole
- Time-saving self-threading ability
- Simple control panel
- LCD screen to see your selections
- Reverse button found on the front of the machine
- Heavy-Duty Metal Frame For Improved Durability and skip-free sewing
Singer 5400 is an excellent handy sewing machine that can self-thread itself to help you save time. I personally loved it because of its Machine Intro DVD and easy to understand instructional guide.
8) Janome MOD-19 Easy-to-Use Self-Threading Machine
The 5 piece feed dog system in this Janome sewing machine is going to make sure that it delivers even stitching irrespective of the fabric you work on.
Janome MOD-19 is an easy-to-use machine that can make sewing fun for you. Thanks to its built-in needle threader, threading this machine will look like a mundane thing.
The top-loading bobbin with clear case allows you to see the quantity of bobbin thread so you can change it beforehand you start working on the project to avoid delay.
Control the speed with 4 pressure feet and adjust the stitch length and width with this entry-level sewing machine. As it comes with 19 built-in stitches and free-arm drop system you can enhance your crafting abilities.
I personally won’t use this machine because I have outgrown the learning curve this machine has to offer. However, if you are a beginner or mid-level sewist then it is a must-try a sewing machine to save time.
Why Janome MOD-19 is worth buying?
- 19 Stitches including 1 Four-Step Buttonhole
- Adjustable Stitch Length and Width
- 5-Piece Feed Dog System
- Heavy Duty Interior Metal Frame
- Easy Threading with Built-In Needle Threader
- Top Loading Bobbin with Clear Cover
- Removable Storage Compartment
- 25-Year Limited Warranty
The MOD-19 is the best Janome Self-threading sewing machine available in the market that you can buy for a price less than $200.
9) Juki HZL-LB5100 Computerized Automatic Sewing Machine
It is a computerized machine loaded with basic to advance features to help you make creative and modern clothes. Juki HZL-LB5100 is a compact machine offering a vast variety of 100 stitch patterns and 7 point feed dog system. Super easy to set-up combined with simple interface makes sewing fun.
Juki HZL-LB5100 is truly the most function-rich compact computerized machine with LCD screen, variable speed override, and automatic needle threader to push threads through the needle with the push of a button.
If you are a seasoned sewist or have been sewing from more than 1 year then you must know that it is hard to start your machine on thick fabrics. Thanks to the strong needle feed system, Juki HZL-LB5100 is easy to start on thick fabrics or multi-layered quilts.
Why HZL-LB5100 is the best automatic threading machine?
- 100 sewing stitch options
- Free Arm sewing
- Powerful Even Stitching
- Variable Speed Override
- 7 Point Feed Dog System
- Bright LED Light
- LCD Screen and Stitch Chart
- Easy to start and Precise Stop
- Two Automatic Lock Stitches
- 2-Year Warranty on Electrical parts
- 5 Year Limited Warranty on mechanical parts.
The HZL-LB5100 is the best JUKI self-threading sewing machine equipped with all the necessary accessories. Its design is just right for beginners to advanced sewists.
10) Janome 3160QDC Computerized Sewing Machine with Extension Table
Jam proof top-loading bobbin system allows you to change bobbin smoothly and also gives you direct access to thread quantity. And being a Jam-proof unit you don’t have to worry about running off the edge because it won’t be stuck.
Janome 3160QDC is a popular computerized self-threading sewing machine that comes with a built-in automatic needle threader so that you don’t have to worry about threading your machine.
With this Janome machine, the possibility of creativity is endless thanks to its 60 Built-In stitches and 6 built-in buttonholes options you will always find a pattern that suits your project needs.
In my opinion, the lock-stitch features are the best thing about this Janome machine as with a simple push of the button the stitch you will be able to prevent half stitch-patterns.
With a large LCD screen, stitch-selector button and thread cutter any project can be completed with a professional touch.
Janome 3160QDC comes with 1/4 Seam Foot w/Guide, Overedge, Zig Zag, Zipper, and Buttonhole Foot to give you a wide range of experimental creativity.
Why Janome 3160QDC is worth buying?
- 60 Built-In Sewing Stitches
- 6 Built-In Buttonholes
- Easy to use touch panel
- Self-Threading needle system
- Big LCD screen
- Reverse stitch button
- Automatic Thread Cutter (Top & Bottom)
- Jam Proof Easy-Set Top-Loading Bobbin System
- Start’s without the need of a foot controller
- Lock Stitch Button To Finishes the Active Stitch
- Free Extension Table
- Plenty of free accessories and feets
- 5-year warranty on electrical parts
- 25-year Warranty on mechanical parts
If you are looking for a reliable computerize machine that can self-thread then Janome 3160QDC will surely impress you. It is loaded with features allowing you to work on different types of fabric without creating unwanted issues.
How to use automatic needle threader – Video Tutorial
Here is an easy to understand video tutorial which will be helpful if you are a beginner or trying automatic needle threader machine for the first time.
You can save time and make sewing easy with the help of a self-threading sewing machine. And when it comes to improving the learning curve of a beginner’s sewist, such automation can be really helpful.
Everyone should know how to thread a needle, however, after several uses, it becomes non-creative and has no importance more than consuming your time. This is why buying a sewing machine with an automatic needle threader can help you simplify the sewing process.